INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT: @jess.wandering
1. Your Bio
Always eager to learn and share my passion for the outdoors, I see every new adventure as an opportunity for self-growth. I believe that our experiences shape our world view and ultimately who we are. For this reason I’m an avid collector of experiences—whether it’s through hiking, backpacking, diving, or meeting new people. I’m restless by nature, but I feel connected to the earth and at peace when I am out in the wild.
2. What 5 words explain you the best?
3. Introverted. . . How about just three?!
3. What dreams do you have for the future?
Just to be happy and fulfilled!
4. Do you have a favourite quote?
“Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket.
But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
- Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man’s Fear
5. What is your fondest memory growing up?
My family used to go stay at my grandpa’s house near Lake Tahoe every summer, and I have very fond memories of swimming in the lake, camping, and meeting up with old friends there.
6. What is the most adventurous thing you can say that you have done?
This summer I summited Mount Shuksan in Washington State. I don’t love heights, and I’d never done any technical climbing, so it was a real challenge for me.
7. What are the top 3 things to do on your bucket list?
My bucket list expands every day, and includes everything from long term goals like visiting every continent, to smaller activities like completing a specific hike. Right now at the top of my list however are:
1. Backpacking The Enchantments
2. Climbing Mount Rainier,
3. Road tripping through Utah
8. What have you failed at before and what did you learn from this.
After college I went to law school. It was a decision that involved a lot of hard work and a significant investment in time and resources. But after a couple of years practicing law I knew I wasn’t going to be happy, so I quit– and at the time that felt like a huge failure. But I now understand that pursuing happiness over prestige and security is not a failure, but its own form of success.
9. Who inspires you?
My passion for the outdoors started when I was little, and was definitely inspired by my parents. As children my brother and I would spend hours playing in the woods behind our house, collecting bugs, and making forts in the trees. That sense of wonder that I got from nature as a child never went away, and it’s still where I feel the most grounded as an adult!
10. Do you have a favourite book or movie?
I love movies and books, and I have a real soft spot for fantasy and sci-fi. Growing up I loved the movie Willow!
11. If you had to live on a deserted island and you could only take one thing, what would you take and why?
Probably a water purifier. Because I hate being sick!
12. What 3 pieces of advice would you give for others who want to get into your field or industry?
I think the most important aspect to living a healthy and fulfilling life is doing what actually makes you happy—not what you think should make you happy. Regardless of what your field or industry is, goals are important, but the journey is more important. So I say:
1. Surround yourself with wonderful people
2. Experience as much as possible, don’t be afraid to get hurt
3. Enjoy the ride!