INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT: @missholldoll
1. Your Bio
Hiking and backpacking have become a passion of mine over the years. When I was in my mid twenties I decided I wanted to start exploring the nearby mountains, but I had no one to join me in my pursuit. I spent my weekdays researching different areas, trails and the basics on what to bring and I spent my weekends venturing out all on my own. Since then I've made some amazing friends that equally love what the Pacific Northwest has to offer and who share my passion for the outdoors. The mountains are where I truly discovered who I am and they showed me what matters most in life… and when I'm there, I'm home.
2. What 5 words explain you the best?
3. What dreams do you have for the future?
My dreams for the future are always in flux, but the only one that remains the same is to never stop living and to not get bogged down by ideals imposed upon me by society.
4. Do you have a favourite quote?
“Not all those who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien
5. What is your fondest memory growing up?
Definitely tent slumber parties in the backyard with my sister!
6. What is the most adventurous thing you can say that you have done?
As for an actual adventure, I would say the Subway (top-down) in Zion - it was my first time rappelling and I had to learn quickly! It was an amazing experience. Aside from that I would say the most adventurous thing was making the decision to become an outdoorsy girl – people thought I was crazy for doing it all on my own, but I found it to be incredibly uplifting and therapeutic.
7. What are the top 3 things to do on your bucket list?
I don’t have one. I understand and appreciate the concept, but I don’t like have a “things to do before I die” list. It weirds me out.
8. What have you failed at before and what did you learn from this.
I don’t think in terms of failure. Sure, I’ve had certain aspects of my life not work out the way I thought they would – relationships, jobs, educational ambitions, etc., but I always tell myself “Be glad for the things that have worked out and even more glad for the things that haven’t – because I’m right where I need to be, and I wouldn’t be here without any of them.”
9. Who inspires you?
My friend Elise. She’s truly the most down to earth and adventurous girl I know. I admire people like her who are genuine and humble and don’t brag about their accomplishments. Don’t tell me what you’re going to do or what you’ve done – show me.
10. Do you have a favourite book or movie?
I prefer to have many favorites, but one of my favorite movies is V for Vendetta, it’s absolutely beautiful.
11. If you had to live on a deserted island and you could only take one thing, what would you take and why?
Well that sounds awful. I’d pack a piano with me or a guitar.
12. What 3 pieces of advice would you give for others who want to get into your field or industry?
1. Don’t be afraid to go it alone
2. Immerse yourself in inspirational research material and photos – the more inspired you are, the better.
3. Go to REI or another outdoor equipment store and tell an associate what you want to do and ask them what you need – that’s what they are there for! They are actually paid to help further your outdoor pursuits! ;)