INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT: @daniellejoan
1. Your Bio
After practising yoga for almost nine years, I decided I loved it enough to teach it and make a career out of it.
My professional background is in advertising and marketing, and always found my time on the mat grounded and re-centered. It helped me deal with the stress that my work life created.
I love yoga, but I’m not a ‘yogi’. I’m a modern day Renaissance woman. I eat healthy food, but always need that chocolate fix. I see the realness in everyday life and choose to live the way I like, and the way my body needs.
2. What 5 words explain you the best?
Positive, real, massive dork, creative and caring.
3. What dreams do you have for the future?
Have my own studio, one that is different to everything else that you see.
4. Do you have a favourite quote?
‘Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.’ A. A. Milne.
5. What is your fondest memory growing up?
Finding four-leaf clovers on the magic patch of grass at primary school with my friends. Something that has continued throughout my whole life.
6. What is the most adventurous thing you can say that you have done?
I love the everyday adventure, stuff I don’t need to chase, but make up the beauty in life, like midnight swims, cooking with new ingredients or meeting people that truly inspire me.
7. What are the top 3 things to do on your bucket list?
Live in Italy, shave my head, drive around Australia.
8. What have you failed at before and what did you learn from this.
I gave the corporate world a red hot crack. As I thought I should.
I loved it. But it didn't love me. I was always dealing with some anxiety or stress. Stuff my body didn't need.
It took a long time for me to get over the fact that if I left the corporate world, I had failed in life.
I learned that I shouldn't look at my quitting the corporate world as failing, but more so that it has helped shape how I want to continue to live and work.
9. Who inspires you?
My family and friends, all in their unique ways.
10. Do you have a favourite book or movie?
I love biographies and autobiographies, right now I’m reading Madga Szubanski’s Reckoning, before that it was Patti Smith’s Just Kids.
All time favourite movie has to be Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion. Probably watched it over 36 times..
11. If you had to live on a deserted island and you could only take one thing, what would you take and why?
My boyfriend. We’ll entertain each other and keep each other sane.
12. What 3 pieces of advice would you give for others who want to get into your field or industry?
• Gain corporate experience. It’s a valuable skill you’ll always appreciate.
• Use your contacts. People want to help you and they will generally be able to help you make decisions.
• Back yourself. If you know what you’re doing, and why you want to do it, then there should be no one telling you you can’t.